Saturday 18 June 2011

Sacred Geographies: Part III - Sadat gets the Scratch

So I was headed up to AUC in Tahrir Square today to get on a tourbus and see some ancient pyramids (from 2800 BC!) when I remembered to check the subway map.  Lo and behold there was something there I had never seen before!

Both Mubarak Station and Anwar Sadat Station were scratched out.  Not only that, the scribbled names were absolutely clear in black permanent marker.  Sadat had been replaced with "al-Shuhadāʾ" or "The Martyrs," while Mubarak Station was replaced with "Damm al-Shuhadāʾ" or "The Blood of the Martyrs."

Another subway artist added "ʾĀl"in front of both in a different color and hand, making it "The Family/Clan of the Martyrs" and "The Family/Clan of the Blood of the Martyrs." (Not exactly sure whether he meant the group of martyrs or whether he meant to honor the families of the slain protestors.

I was excited to see a new and unusual renaming project, so I reached into my bag to get my camera, which I had brought along to take pictures of the pyramids and tombs of Saqqara and Memphis.  Aaaaand... I forgot my camera.  Fortunately, others on the trip were happy to take photos for me, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment