Saturday 11 June 2011

Denial II (reposted from Tumblr site)

(originally posted May 31)

So I’m leaving for Cairo in about 12 hours. Denial is still very much a part of the experience. Today Anya and I went sailing on the Potomac River in a little Sunfish and then scrambled around like proverbial chickens lacking cephalic bits getting ready. I’ve brought way too many books, as usual… am hoping to finish Rogan’sThe Arabs before classes start, and there’s nothing like being surrounded by a sea of Arabic to convince me to read more English books (counterintuitive, I know).

It’s very strange to me that I’ll be back in Cairo in just about a day. Doesn’t yet seem very real. Nevertheless, I’ve added insha’Allah (God Willing) to my future-tense sentences as a nod to the immanent change that’s about to take place. Perhaps also apropos here: Allahu Aʿlam (God knows best).

No comments:

Post a Comment