Sunday 12 June 2011

Sacred Geographies: Part I - Mubarak Erased

I was wondering what would be done about the Mubarak metro stop, and the first time I was on the metro I saw at least part of the answer.  The stop formerly known as "Hosni Mubarak" had been scratched out and scribbled over.  Much of the scribble had then itself been scratched out, though I've seen both "al-shaʿb" (the People, ie. of the People's Revolution) and "al-Shuhadāʾ" (the Martyrs, ie. the Martyrs of the Egyptian Revolution on what people are calling "the days of blood").

Since then, I've seen several other attempts at renaming, all the way to official government-installed maps.  I've been taking my camera with me on the metro recently, and I'll be posting the different states of the ex-Mubarak Metro in what I take to be chronological order.  Part I: Mubarak Erased.

If anyone can make out what's scribbled here and then scratched out, please let me know!  Most of these look like they could be "al-Shuhadāʾ" but I've also seen a clearly written "al-Shaʿb," and they both start with the same letter...




No comments:

Post a Comment