Saturday 11 June 2011

The apartment

The apartment is nice enough, though it's on the fifth floor with big windows, so it gets a bit hot. There's AC, but we're trying to conserve electricity. At night, we can get a cross-breeze, and the Cairo nights are really quite nice. Day-times, however, are scorching hot, and it's only going to get worse in August. Interestingly, some Caireens use the numbers of the Gregorian months rather than the names. (I asked a taxi driver as we sat in blistering heat in Cairo's rush hour traffic about whether August would be even hotter, and he didn't understand what I'd asked. But when I rephrased the question, he affirmed that the 7th and 8th months would be worse. My Arabic instructor also used the numbers rather than the names, which I initially thought was because it the dates were written in numerals on the handout we were using.)



Views out the 2nd bedroom window. The AC in this room sounds like a large truck engine.
The kitchen: No AC and very little ventilation... but quaint enough.

The livingroom with the greenhouse windows. Most of my time at home is spent in front of the AC in this room.


No comments:

Post a Comment