Friday 17 June 2011

Sacred Geographies: Part II - Mubarak Replaced

So another week of CASA has flown by.  The apartment is still a bit of a cooker, but it's bearable during the day with the A/C and then bearable again at night with the cross-breeze.  I'm not sure what we'll do when it gets hotter in July and August.  I guess we could always just hope that climate change has reached us here on the African continent.

I haven't been taking my camera with me as much on the metro, but I have managed to pick up a few more interesting photos of the metro maps.  This is installment two, which is focused on pictures where stickers have been placed over the name of the station.  The most frequently-used sticker is a long, white sticker with thick, red letters.  It dedicates the station to "the Martyrs of the People's Revolution."  I've also seen a variation that simply says "Martyrs" and also transliterates it "al-Shohada" so that it can be placed over the English transliteration of "Mubarak" (not shown below).

I've also stuck in a picture of the first clear alternative that I've seen to naming the station after the martyrs (which has certainly taken hold).  The third picture down has "The Revolution" written in black permanent marker with the rest of what had been written scratched out.




1 comment:

  1. If climate change is still to come, you are hosed. Find a giant refrigerator and move in.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete